Old 12-08-2011, 04:47 PM
melinda1962

Originally Posted by hootnannie View Post
I recently bought a Singer 319w which came complete with all cams and manual and extras. The man's mom and
grandma were seamstresses. The only issue it has is the needle hits the bobbin area. I'm thinking it probably has the
wrong needle as I know they take a 206x13. My question is how do I know the difference in right verses wrong needle?
Could it be a timing thing? My second question is where is the serial number? My other vintage machines display it on
the base or column. I researched that they were only made 1955-57 but I'd like to find out the specifics. I don't post
often but read this thread daily and have learned an enormous amount. Mostly I appreciate the characters and funnies of the regulars and have gotten to know you all well. Thanks for it all.
I changed the needle in my 319W the other night, and until I got it seated right, it hit the bobbin area. I was using the correct needle, it just wasn't in right. It seems like the needle screw had to be low on the needle bar; it has a little up and down variance, but when I put it at the bottom, it did good. Miriam was having trouble with a needle bar issue. She has a lot of 319 info. Good luck!!

P.S. Also, the 206x13 needle is different from a regular 15x1 needle in that the eye is right at the end. The size is in engraved on the needle shank on the round side, so you know which one it is. And the serial number is on the bottom of the machine, when you flip it back out of the case/cabinet, on the left "foot." The needle screw has a little triangle piece that holds the needle in place. Candace and Miriam have been discussing it and Candace was supposed to send Miriam pics. Maybe one of them could post them here.

Last edited by melinda1962; 12-08-2011 at 05:06 PM.