View Single Post
Old 12-20-2011, 12:53 PM
Honeynga

Originally Posted by athomenow
You find out you really don't like quilting? I've tried several times over the past dozen or so years to quilt and always thought I would love it if I could do it when retired. Well now I am and after making a couple of little quilts for the DGD's I've discovered I'm not a fan. I hand quilted one and tied the other and I'm just not feeling like I want to continue. I do enjoy making purses but if i can't sell them I certainly can't do that as a hobby. I need to find something else to do in my sewing room. Just thinking outloud online I guess. This is so disappointing to me because I have to have something to keep me busy or I'll go nuts!!!
You have verbalized exactly what I've been thinking ! I've sewed my entire life; even made my 3 girls not only matching outfits for every occasion; play clothes; prom dresses; outfit for school plays, on and on......took a quilting class earlier this year and have been trying hard to get into it......I was forced to retire because of a heart attck and thought that quilting would be just what I needed....I don't think so anymore. I don't think I have a good eye for colors and composition......I've made 3 quilt tops and am in the process of hand quilting one; just can't afford to send them out for quilting. I have made several denim rag quilts that turned out well. Had bought some fabric with cats on it so I did make wall hanging for my daughter that has the cat.

I taught myself to knit and crochet years ago......knitted tons of sweaters for folks..one year at Christmas I knitted 12....won't do that again ! I picked up my needles not long ago and have knitted a beautiful scarf as a gift; finished a sweater that I started last year and am now teaching myself to knit socks. I think I like knitting better because the "equipment" is not as expensive; plus I have about all the needles I would ever need. I can buy enough quality yarn for a sweater and not have to keep going back for backing, more binding, batting, etc......not to mention the thread !

What I really like about my knitting is that it is portable......can stick a scarf or sock in my purse and knit wherever I have a few minutes....like dr office, after dinner with friends, etc.......just can't haul around a quilt to work on !

AFter the first of the year I'm going to tear apart my "sun room" which is where I keep all my fabric, cutting table and ironing board and re organize my fabrics and maybe put some "kits" together that might help me with color choices, etc.

Good luck to you in finding something that you enjoy, I totally understand. Hope you and your family have a safe and joyous holiday season and Merry Christmas !
Sandy