Old 12-22-2011, 10:21 AM
larkspurlanedesigns

All the wonderful features on the machines you mentioned are also available on Baby Lock machines.

And I would like to clear up the misconception that Baby Lock and Brother are the same company. They are sister companies using the same factory in Japan but they are 2 different companies. Baby Lock is the only sewing machine company owned by an American family.A lot of their components are interchangeable but they are NOT the same company.
Originally Posted by T-Anne View Post

What I like is: the longer throat, the self threader, the automatic knotting when you begin and the scissors that cut the thread at the end, the up/down needle position, automatic tension is awesome, has a excellent light and and easy to use programming and easy to read display. It has way more stitch options than I will ever use and it has the tapered sewing option I can use on my quilt corners and it is easy! It can run with the knee or you can do off/on,needle up/down, I could go on! LOL They tell you it does not require a walking foot, and I would agree with that on quilts that have the flatter batting, but for the fluffier batting I went and bought the walking foot.

I also liked the Pfaff (can't remember the model) but I was upgrading from the Viking that I bought new eons ago and I think I got used to the feel of the Viking. I found the Babylock/Brother (both made by same company) to be somewhat lacking in power.