View Single Post
Old 12-28-2011, 11:52 AM
Mad Mimm

Originally Posted by JulieR
There is always a way to use a quilt in one's decor, regardless of pattern or color. However, when I give a quilt as a gift I always include a note that if it isn't to their taste, they may return it or drop it off at the local animal shelter and I'll replace it with something they will like.

It's never happened yet, but I put it right out there.

I agree. I have only gifted a few quilts but in general when giving gifts, I tell people if they don't like it to feel free to share it with someone who does or pass it along. I firmly believe that each and every gift that is given has a recipient - it just isn't always the first person we give the gift to!!

I also agree with the lady who said she researches. I look at people's interiors for colors, see what colors they wear most commonly, do they have a favorite handbag or something. I also look for clues in their homes, are they traditional, contemporary, minimal or do they like clutter? These all give you clues that you can use.

Here is another piece of food for thought... How many times have we read messages on the board here posted by happy quilters who have wandered into a local thrift store or yard sale only to find a lovely quilt that they snapped up for a bargain and took home to love??? Someone above mentioned that they feel sad when they find quilts at thrift stores, but I see it as an opportunity for a hand-crafted item to find a home with someone who will love it and appreciate it in a way the original recipient did not. A quilt that finds it way to a loving home is a happy quilt, regardless of where that home may be.

I always would say thank you and make a complement about the gift. Quilts are always useful, even if it is not a quilt I will choose to display in an obvious place of pride in my home (and no, I have never lined a dog bed with one!!!)

Last edited by Mad Mimm; 12-28-2011 at 12:02 PM.