View Single Post
Old 01-02-2012, 12:42 PM
SueSew

Originally Posted by Whigrose View Post
Lucky girl! You must be beside yourself with giddiness for all the 'improvements' to your studio. Congrats.

Would you share a bit more on the design wall. I love that it is framed in. DH is at the ready to build one for me, but I'm the holdup. Not exactly sure what I want but if you don't mind, yours looks fabulous and I'd love t 'copy-cat' your idea.

Oh, and love the door handle! (Sorry, I'm notice things like that.)

d
That half of the house is 1803 but feels older - I love the old latches too!

Here is how we did the wall. I went through a lot of thought and read about different ideas on the board, and gouldn't make up my mind how big...finally it came down to...I had bought a 6 foot length of 54" wide home deco white flannely fabric at Joannes' for it. Rich was ready to just 'get it done'. So he got four 1x2 wood strips cut to just a couple inches smaller all round than the fabric. The made little one-foot pieces angled in to stabilize each corner, and he put in a center piece of 1x2 going from top to bottom. (that was the part he knew how to do) Then we laid the fabric on the floor, and staple-gunned it just like you would a canvas for a painting. (that's the part I knew how to do) Pull it even, staple top center, bottom center then each side center, then keep moving outward toward the edges, pulling the fabric tight vertically and horizontally so it doesn't get wrinkles. He put two blocks on the wall at a distance apart so I could slide it back and forth if I need to move it, and it is small enough I can take it down.

what a team - it was our 30-year anniversary this past weekend and I have to say he is dearer to me than ever. And he never gets nudgy when I go off to the quilting lab. (My son nicknamed it the lab as he says it is where I experiment LOL - he also sometimes hears shrieks of insane laughter when I sew something backwards AGAIN, or delight when the blocks come out right)