View Single Post
Old 01-02-2012, 01:07 PM
dixie_fried

Originally Posted by BuzzinBumble View Post
Dixie, they advised me not to starch until the top was all finsihed being sewn together. Starching and ironing can stretch the fabric and then your half hexes would have a hard time matching up with their twin. i'm a newbie too, but from what I read about starching here on the QB, you either starch 1) after prewashing and before cutting, OR 2) starch after your quilt top is all put together. I've read members warnings not to starch midway, because of the possibility of stretching and getting wonky blocks.
Also, folks told me to try a light application of spray adhesive between the quilt sandwich layers and that helped a lot too!

Your first arranged mock up shows this is going to be one beautiful quilt!
Thanks for the info! I didn't feel I needed the starch before I cut the fabric, and since it was cut on the (near?) bias, I knew I had to handle it gently to keep from stretching. I haven't even dared used the side cutter in my machine to cut threads to make sure I was keeping my fabric unstretched. So...I will get the top finished and then starch it before I quilt it. Got it!!