Old 01-03-2012, 10:25 AM
dunster
Power Poster

Default My latest, but oldest, quilt - put on your sunglasses!

Yes, this is the first quilt I ever started, and I just finished it yesterday. I decided in July of 2006 that I wanted to learn to quilt. I signed up for a class at the LQS. I picked out a bunch of patriotic fabrics that were on sale at JoAnn’s , because they were cheap. After the first day of class, when we cut the fabrics and started assembling a few blocks, I went home and assembled more blocks. I laid them out and almost screamed. They didn’t go together at all, the colors were much too loud, it would never make a pretty quilt. So I quickly picked out some quieter fabrics and made the class quilt with mostly browns and greens. I put the original fabrics and blocks in a shoe box and placed it on a high shelf. Several times over the last few years I looked at those blocks, thinking I might be able to save them with some sashing – but nothing I tried seemed to work. On January 1 of this year, I decided to look at them again, and this time I decided they weren’t too bad. (Maybe I need new glasses.) So I made some more blocks, added borders, used up the rest of the fabric for a scrappy back, and here it is. It’s actually louder than it looks in the pictures, but you know what? I like it!
Attached Thumbnails patriotic-quilt-002.jpg   patriotic-quilt-009.jpg