Old 01-07-2012, 05:54 PM
Ruralgirl61

I have had the opportunity to have two different sewing/quilting rooms. The thing I enjoy the most and it was my husband idea is an island cutting counter. We used two base cabinets back to back. I had roll out shelves installed in them at each end. The cabinets are kitchen counter height and the counter top is 4'X5' with rounded corners. I have enough over hang that I can pull up an office chair, raise it up and work there if I need to. I use this island for so much more than sewing. It was great for wrapping Christmas Presents. I have a large white cutting mat on top of the counter and we just used the rotary cutter to cut the paper. My room is 11x 14, I also had a closet made with 10 foot long shelves. There are 5 shelves that are 12 inches deep. I had mirrored doors 6'x6' installed in the closet. They make the room seem much bigger. If you would like pictures let me know. It is not fancy but very functional.
I also have a 13 foot long counter with 3 knee holes. I use one for my computer and the other two for two of my sewing machines. The two cabinets between the knee holes have a top drawer front that drops down. It has a pullout top where I can put a cutting mat on one side and a pressing mat on the other. Saves many steps in the quilt block making process. Hope you love your room as much as I love mine. I am in there everyday.