View Single Post
Old 01-12-2012, 05:16 PM
grannyQ

[QUOTE=Honchey;4867202]
Originally Posted by Carsey View Post
The first block is kicking my rear. I hate y seams. I am taking a deep breath and redoing it....... and redoing it..... and redoing it..... I will overcome...... I will overcome...... hopefully soon!!!!! lol (It's a good thing I wanted to try the first block before starting time. At this rate, I will be left far behind)

Blessings!

Carsey, how are you piecing the block?? I english pp'ed min and will not do that again. I think the best way would be to use freezer paper for the templates...trim away the seam allowance. press the tempplates to the fabric and add your seam allowance a little bigger than the 1/4" allowance then cut out your templates...pin the points and then sew to that point..backstitch..put needledown into the seam..pivot the fabric.. lifting the top piece and match the points on the next intersection and then sew to that next point. The top piece should be laying flat with the previous section sewn folded but not creased. using the backstitch (just one stitch) anchors the point so that when you open and press that area the point will not be puckered or rounded.
I also have been having trouble with the first block. I have made it 2 times & still is too small. I'm going to try to do it with the freezer paper. Thank's Anne for mentioning cutting the seam allowance a little bigger. I'm going to try this.