Old 01-14-2012, 08:11 AM
Johanna Fritz

I was able to get steel drawer units that are 6 feet wide, waist high and 3 feet deep with pull out drawers. They have a hard plastic laminate on top. These were office furniture that I got for free from Craigs list just for hubby hauling away. One is my ironing surface (so top is 6feet wide by 3 feet deep). Another 2 are pushed together for a big workspace to pin etc.

For ironing surface - used the same plywood...Cotton batting on top of the plywood (by the roll so wide enough) - placed 2 layers, cut to size on top of each other. Then another layer of poly bat...extra all around edge about 3". Than the silver heat resistant fabric with extra 4" all around. Used Duck tape on the back to pull taught and secure. Then placed on top of laminate and iron like crazy. If I am ironing my hand dyes, I have a clean white old cotton sheet that I temporarily cover the silver fabric with in case I have any staining. Has only happened once. You cannot believe how much time you save with such a big surface. Good luck.