Old 01-18-2012, 07:40 PM
Maire

After Katrina I sent money & baby quilts to an organizations helping the people of LA. Not long after I happen to catch a live interview with the mayor of New Orleans (Nagin?) talking about the money the government had just promised to help rebuild. The mayor said he hoped no Mexicans would be there on the construction crews. Being Mexican American this was a major verbal slap in the face. I never expected thanks or acknowledgment for what I had sent because of the chaos but also did not expect that type of insult.
I know the thousands of people who badly needed help had no control over what their mayor would say, he & other politicians let them down. But it hurt. Strange thing is I never saw that interview rebroadcast or comments about it, I think it was an impromptu interview & I just happen to catch it.
As a result when I am doing a charity project I concentrate on putting some prayers & love into the project that will hopefully help the receiver & try very hard not to think of the charity organizers distributing the projects.