Old 01-20-2012, 08:22 AM
rahaube

Default Ugly Quilts

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics View Post
Or as to what materials can be used in it?

I've recently joined a group that makes charity quilts for international relief projects, and at today's meeting, things got a little... uh... tense... when we talked about the donated materials in our "stash".

Since that little quilting group is probably not the only one whose members have different opinions on the subject, I thought I would put the question out for discussion here.

And... if you've also been in a group of "differing opinions", how did you work it out?
Ugly like beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I believe that beautiful quilts can be made from different kinds of fabrics depending on design and color combination. In making quilts for the homeless our greatest goal is for warmth, we put in 3 or 4 layers of batting, but we see no reason they can't be pretty as well. We use mostly polyester double knits since we have it and it is very serviceable and warm. Even simple checkerboard quilts can be beautiful. Since you have so much fabric, I see no reason to buy more. I would suggest that the ladies go through the boxes and find fabrics that they would like to work with and each make quilts that appeal to them. In a group there is always room to accommodate people's likes and dislikes when you have such a bounty of supplies.