View Single Post
Old 02-01-2012, 04:34 AM
mpspeedy

As a lifelong handquilter I would have no problem with setting the frame up in the room where we spend time as a family watching TV etc. Get started on it and let him see how long it is taking. For me it would probably only take three months max and I would have an excuse to enjoy all of my favorite TV and or radio shows. It is hard to do either while machine quilting. I believe you mentioned your age as being on the verge of retirement. If your husband is fast approaching that time in your lives you will be seeing a whole lot more of him. It might be a good time to start a project together. If you teach him to handquilt you can work together and maybe this will be a way to ease both of you into your new lives as a retired couple. Once he tries quilting he will either love it or suddenly have a new and improved respect for you and all you do.
My husband retired at 65 and stayed home for about six months. Those were the longest 6 months in our marriage. He went back to work and now six years later has just announced that he is going to retire again in June. I am making sure that he knows that I do certain things with our without him. It will not be easy but that is part of marriage and life in general.