View Single Post
Old 02-01-2012, 04:52 AM
NJ Quilter

I guess I'm in the minority here. I almost exclusively hand quilt and that is because I love the process. I've done several queen and even king and don't really find the size particularly daunting. I'm currently working on an over-sized twin that is probably close to a queen. I do use W&N batting because it gives me the option of not needing to quilt particularly densely if I don't want to, although I have done very dense hand quilting on large quilts as well. That said, I also use a hoop and not a frame. Don't think I could do it on a frame because of the single position I would need to be in for long periods of time. I can scritch around and change my position constantly by using a hoop - or not - and my body doesn't get as stressed or fatigued. But as others have said, this is a decision that you and your DH must reach together. IMO with hand or machine quilting one is not better than the other they are just different. Either can be beautiful, and depending on skill levels, either can be horrible. It's a very personal choice. I think whomever mentioned there being some emotional issues for your DH with this quilt hit the nail on the head. I see some long discussions in your future. Good luck!