Old 02-02-2012, 04:13 PM
Chele

I'd love to share my mad methods! I made a huge spreadsheet with everyone's name and partner pairings on it. Each month, after I randomly (hat method) pair partners, I check to see if you've swapped with that person before. I'm sure I've messed up in the past, but hopefully, I pair you with a brand new partner. I take into consideration if you aren't able to swap internationally, what country you're from, etc. I've even paired shy beginners with other shy beginners to reduce stress and get everyone to create freely and not over think the process. But usually, it's random pairings with someone you haven't swapped with before. My original goal with this swap was to get beginners to learn the quilt process from start to finish and practice their skills. You pros joined in and made the swap even more fun!

The spreadsheet has enabled me to keep a running tally of participants, how many quilts have been exchanged, and partner pairings. If your name is in red on my sheet, you didn't follow through and are not welcome to swap. The red names are few and far between, but it happens. For the most part, we have a blast exchanging and seeing these little beauties. Newbies are encouraged and learn the ropes along the way, intermediate quilters stretch themselves with new techniques, and the pros share their talents with the rest of us. It all works pretty beautifully.

So fun to hear the February quilts are being worked on and even completed! Wow! This swap has been a lot of fun over the years. I may retire it and move on to something new at the three year anniversary in May. My attention span wanes after a while. If anyone is interested in taking it over, just let me know. I'd be happy to send you my spreadsheet and any tips or tricks I've learned.

Thanks to everyone for your participation and enthusiasm. Your quilts bring so much happiness. I know I smile ear to ear when I see what you create!