Thread: Please Help!!!
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2012, 08:05 AM
Havplenty

dchev you do sound very overwhelmed by your situation but there is always solutions available with a little work on your part. selling some of it and donating some of it sounds like a good plan. perhaps you may have a friend or relative that can come help you sort by colors if possible. if you have bolts of fabric it is easier for those looking to purchase to have a set price for the bolt. i wouldnt bother selling anything by the yard. if you yard pieces, set a price for the whole piece it makes it easier for those purchasing. for example 3 yards and under for $3.00 and 3 yards up to 6 yards for $5.00, etc.

for the sales, i would say contact local guilds in your area and let them know of your sale. quilters are always looking for fabric. also consider donating some fabric to the guilds also. there are most likely some quilt shops in your area that are participating in the 1 million pillowcase challenge that could use some donated fabric. you can check online for the shops in your area that are participating. i would just concentrate on one room at a time. i realize that sales can be slow but they do help to accomplish the goal. selling on ebay could be a bit challenging for you right now. craigslist sales or local sales seem an easier task.

you could also consider opening up your sale to QB members who are in your area. pick a sale day, post a thread on the board and those who are interested can come by and shop. each little bit you manage to rehome, is each little bit you no longer will have in your home. you will be able to tame your beast but take it a little bit at a time. there are various avenues to rehome your fabric so do it one stack at a time.

i remember when i was somewhat in your position, i had hugh packing boxes of fabric to rehome. i called the local girls/boys center and gifted them lots of patterns and fabrics for their afterschool/summer programs. i posted a notice in my church bulletin for free fabric and gave bags of it to sewers at church. i gave some to family and i sold some. i still have fabric left but its much more managable and i kept the more expensive silks and wools that i had.