View Single Post
Old 02-22-2012, 10:16 AM
May in Jersey

Originally Posted by Barbshobbies View Post
As long as a postal carrier comes to mail box, 50 cents is O.K. with us. We paid the bills the day they come in, and say a
thank you prayer that we are fortunate enough to be able to. When we made 70 yrs & older and are able to stay in our
own home, with fairly good health, we have a lot to be greatfull for. They tell me after we are 80 yrs or more, the postal
service will bring the mail to the door. For us there is nothing like seeing the amount of money you have in the check book
and know how much you can spend, at any given time.
I guess my resistance to paying online is because we're in the same age group as you, I'm 76 and DH turns 78 next month, and we live on a fixed income. I like feeling in control of our money and paying bills each month, also helps me keep track of what bills are going up and gives me the opportunity to look for better prices. Ex: Anytime we get an offer from a trash collector for lower priced pickup services we contact our supplier and they give us a discount to stay with them. Younger people with more flexible income may go for the convenience and time saving of online payments but most of us older folks don't have those options.