Thread: Hand Quilting
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2012, 08:29 AM
Krisb

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

When I started I hand quilted. Even hand pieced. I thought that was the only authentic way to do it. My aunt died, and I got her sewing stuff. She was a remarkable seamstress. In the stuff was a half finished machine pieced quilt and a machine quilted top without binding. Said to myself, if it's good enough for her, I'll try it. Found out the truth--machine quilting (on a domestic machine, still refuse to get a long arm) is not easier than hand quilting. It is faster but unless you have done a lot of free motion, it is very difficult. Still, I love the look of hand quilting, especially with unwashed batting that crinkles. I love seeing densely machine quilted wall hangings, especially if the quilting designs are original. I agree that the two arts should be separately judged. And I will struggle, probably forever to get more than 8-10 stitches per inch on my hand quilting and even stitching on my free motion. But I will keep doing both. Good work is good work, no matter what the technique.