View Single Post
Old 02-25-2012, 07:05 PM
Christine-

By the way, I restored the table top on my 15-91 last week. All you need to do is use Denatured alcohol, pour a bit onto a paper towel and wipe with the grain over the scratches. What you're doing is dissolving the old finish slightly. Shellac is made with denatured alcohol. When you dissolve the old shellac finish (slightly) it spreads to fill the scratch, making it disappear. There were some dark rings from where wet glasses had been long ago. I used 0000 steel wool to remove the darkened wood. And then I used the same method as the scratches, which filled in the area, matching it with the rest of the top.

After the scratches are gone, go over the entire top with a clean cloth, soaked in alcohol to smooth/dissolve the entire top into one smooth layer, moving quickly across, edge to edge.

Wax with a fine furniture grade, low luster beeswax and you're good to go! Since I wasn't removing the entire finish, I didn't need to worry about the legs or the sides. The top still matches the rest of the table, and it is not "refinished". It's "restored".
It looks beautiful now!