Thread: Do you can
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2009, 05:36 AM
Feathers

Originally Posted by julie
I just started canning again 2 years ago after many years away from it. I can peaches (from Michigan), tomatoes. We get lots of apples from my uncle and I would like to try canning them or apple pie filling. Has anyone ever done this? Does it turn out good? I've seen recipes on the internet, but I'm a little leery. I don't know anyone who has canned apples. I tried freezing them and it's a disappointment, to say the least.
Julie:
I've made canned apple pie filling for years and it's WONDERFUL! The recipe I use I got off the Internet site for University of Georgia Canning guide. There are also pie filling recipes in the University of Georgia food preserving BIBLE ...the book is "So EASY TO PRESERVE." It costs $18.00 if you buy it directly from the University but sometimes the local County Extension Offices use this book as a training tool and buy them in bulk so you can get them from the EXT. Office for about $15.00.

I took a Master Food Preserver class through our local Ext. Office and after graduation they asked each student to teach different segments of the food preserving curriculum to the next class. One of the things that was taught by one of my classmates was canning apples. They turn out beautiful and good and can be used like any canned fruit or you can use it in upside down apple cake, apple/Johnson Brotwust sausage and saurkraut hot dish, etc. Don't be afraid to can all those apples your uncle has for you. You'll love the convenience of a quick, easy and tasty meal, dessert or whatever.

CANNED APPLES
select juicy, crisp apples.
HOT PACK: Make a very light syrup of water and sugar. I use 3/4 cup of sugar to 5 Cups of Water. Bring to boil and pour the light syrup over the sliced apples in the jar. YOU CAN ALSO CAN THE APPLES IN WATER ONLY...NO SUGAR ADDED. Place flat canning lids in warm water to soften the rubber while you cook the apples.

HOW TO:
Wash, peel, core and slice apples into 1/2 inch wedges. To prevent darkening put apple slices in about 1 cup of water to which about 1 TBLS. of Fruit Fresh has been added. Let the apples sit in the Fruit Fresh solution until all apples are peeled and sliced. DRAIN apples well and place in a large saucepan with about 2 cups of the LIGHT SYRUP or Water . Bring the syrup and apples to a boil and boil 5 minutes stirring occasionally. Fill jars with hot apple slices and hot syrup or water leaving 1/2 inch of headspace. Remove air bubles by inserting a knife between the sides of the jar and the apples. Add more syrup/water as needed to 1/2 inch headspace. WIPE jar rims, place a warmed FLAT canning lid on the jar, adjust the jar lid ring and process in BOILING WATER BATH for 20 minutes for quarts and Pints.