Old 03-18-2012, 03:28 PM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
Miriam,

The top of the shank to the eye is the timing length and yes it is the same. But, the 15x1's longer tip will still be in the fabric (especially with thicker fabrics) when the feeddogs start moving and this will affect the tension and stitching. It can also hit the bobbin case. It is always better to use the correct needle. Please don't let anyone talk you into retiming the 206 series to take a regular needle. I know that this can be a controversial subject.

The tip could be shortened and resharpened, but I would not recommend it. It would be very difficult to make the reshaped tip just like the original such as shape, sharpness, in line with the long axis of the needle, etc.

Cathy
Oh, I get it - feed dogs... I keep learning so much from that machine. I'm liking that Singer 319 machine better the more I use it. I borrowed a motor and foot control from a 99 I turned into a hand crank. The bobbin case had a LOT of burrs and occasionally the thread wants to stay under when I pull up the bobbin thread. After it is up is is ok. I should turn it over and prod around some more. Right now it is set for FM. I need to bring home the table it was in so I can really sew something. That table has a door in front. You flip the door open all the way to help prop the table I guess. In the front of the table there is a hole to reach in for changing the bobbin - so much easier to reach through the hole. I still need the end screw for the needle holder but unless I change the needle it seems to work ok - go figure.