Thread: Sewing classes
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2012, 01:31 PM
MaryLane

As has been said repeatedly, there is no time to teach sewing in schools today. WE are too busy teaching to the test. I really don't believe everyone is meant to have two years of algerbra, either.

That said, I thought Home Ec was the biggest waste of any class offered. I took one year in junior high. My sister took it all through high school. She can't sew and is really not a good cook. I am still trying to figure out what she learned in 6 years of home ec.

My sons all had "Life Skills" classes in jr. high. They had 9 weeks of sewing one year and 9 weeks of cooking one year. They also had Hunter Ed and boat safety. They thought all of these classes were a waste of time and money.

My experiences with sewing in 4-H were not good either. All of this is said to support the fact that I don't think sewing belongs in the schools. It is too expensive to support and no longer a practical skill. It is a fine art and we don't have money for those anymore.

If you feel comfortable giving sewing classes, I say go for it. I have sewn my entire life and taught numerous people to sew. Teaching a class would take all the pleasure out of it for me. So, I appreciate people like you stepping up.