Thread: Sewing classes
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2012, 03:44 PM
lalaland

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
My niece's home ex class was a joke. She had to bring food from home to learn to cook it! No cooking tools were available, just random kitchen stuff. Boys were in the class and they thought it was funny to keep breaking the machine needles! The teacher had no control over the class at all. This is in the best school district in the town that has a high rating (the kids can pass Benchmark). I was asked to volunteer to help with the sewing. I was no allowed to make the class come to some kind of discipline order. I left after two days. My niece was so disappointed in the class. Theses kids acted like it was a joke. They took the class as it was labeled 'an easy do nothing class'. The school admin. didn't care about home ec. But boy is that football team decked out in new uniforms, playing on a new field. If you haven't visited a school in the last five years, you'll never believe what is going on.
I don't know where you live but maybe your niece could check iinto classes available at the local recreation department. They often have beginning sewing classes. And the independent fabric/quilting stores often offer classes, as well as the dealers like Sew Vac. I think our big Jo Anns here offers beginning sewing. A way better atmosphere than what your niece was exposed to.