Thread: Sewing classes
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2012, 03:58 PM
WilliP

I would suggest if you are interested in helping the 4 H programs of FHA (does it still exist) that you contact your state extension service (I think they are through state universities) and offer your services. Check with your local school districts to see if they need help in this area. My freshman home ec teacher toldf me that they were more oriented on teachiong the students to purchase wisely rather than make it themselves the last time I saw her. I think she has retired recently.

Originally Posted by Deanne View Post
Back in the olden days, when I was in school, I learned sewing from my mom and my 4-H teachers during elementary school or "grade school" as it was then known, then we had home ec. as well in high school where we also had sewing, cooking, nutrition, etc. I think it is a great loss that these are not taught anymore. I never could understand why there were women and men who didn't know how to sew. Now I understand. What a loss! Is there still 4-H in school? I know is it a volunteer extra curricular activity, but we either met at the schools or at someones home. Is it still done? Besides in the rural areas?