Thread: R.I.P. Rowenta
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2012, 09:26 AM
singerbabe

My guild had an iron discussion not long ago. Seems half the members have had a leaky Rowenta. I bought one in Costco last year, and only use it occasionally, and it hasn't started leaking yet, but it seems I'm always filling it with water, no matter the steam setting. I have an old Sunbeam I got at Costco many years ago for $20, and it's still going strong. It's not as hot as the Rowenta, but does just fine unless I have really stubborn wrinkles in my fabric, then I pull out the Rowenta. I also have a Panasonic iron which is cordless and comes with a cover which turns the charger into a case, and that is really great for taking to sewing days. However, it doesn't get as hot as the Rowenta either, but I still like it a lot. The Panasonic cost around $70 on Amazon. Oliso's are nice and hot, but expensive and you have to remember not to tilt it up like a regular iron. A friend who brought one to a guild sewing day says hers is now acting up, and she thinks it's because others left it standing upright out of habit with others. The matriarch of the guild considers irons disposable, so she only buys inexpensive ones (like my Sunbeam). I think she may have something there. But be sure you unplug them all when away from your sewing room. A friend had one that was switched off but started smoking because it was still plugged in!