View Single Post
Old 03-29-2012, 04:21 PM
J Miller

OK, I fibbed. Back with another observation and question.

"IF" say the motor was tired and pulling more amps than it should, "could" that cause the foot controller to heat up?

I ask this question because I just finished maybe 20 minutes of sewing with the machine: medium speed - for me anyway, 8" sections of decorative stitches, then stop, change cams, reposition my felt piece then go again.

I felt the foot controller ..... getting warm. I felt the motor = very warm. Motor shouldn't be warm like that. It has been oiled, but I've not checked the brushes.

The story behind this machine is that the folks at Goodwill said it was broke. The motor wouldn't shut off unless you unplugged it. They were plugging the motor directly into a wall socket. The machine didn't have a cord block or foot controller. I'm wondering if they messed up the motor playing with it.

I've checked it's plaque and it's rated for 1.5 amps. The electronic foot controllers like Sew-Classic sells are only rated for 1.2 amps. So ....... I'm just thinking out loud as this old machine makes real nice decorative stitches. I'd hate to burn out the motor. Although I do have a spare.

Joe