Thread: Art Quilters?
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2012, 10:05 AM
suziehammond

Default March and April challenge photos

Ok up for viewing and comments--please give suggestions for improvement....otherwise how can I get better?

First one is the 'Geometry'
Was playing with Alicia Merritt's technique of doing gentle curves then re-cutting several times. Also wanted to play with overstuffing the blue and wine parts. Love the curve and re-cut technique. Found the overstuffing a challenge to quilt around as the areas wanted to pucker up and wrinkle and do all sorts of unhealthy things. Tried q'ing round all other flatter areas 1st and also tried q'ing around the puffy parts first. Neither seemed satisfactory. And I should really now stuff them a little more thoroughly perhaps but then the whole Q won't hang right. It won't lie flat now. Anyway played with this and am not sure it is a technique I will use much. But it was tried. and small amounts could be useful for texture

Black white & Color (Red)
Love b&W and wanted to portray both the strict rigidity of a composed music score in the block thus using many of my pre-printed music fabrics as well as the sinuous flowing lines of what that set of geometric lines becomes once played in the quilting lines.
Attached Thumbnails geometry.jpg   red-white-black.jpeg