Thread: Art Quilters?
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2012, 07:49 AM
janeknapp

You probably know about Quilting Arts magazine and the website, http://www.quiltingdaily.com/. I love this magazine and the daily/weekly newsletter. There are so many free e-books, blogs, forums, resources, store, gallery, etc. which allow the creative juices to flow. I want to do it all, but I am still wetting my feet. The art quilt small group from my guild met for a year studying Lyric Kinard's book, Art + Quilt. We did her exercises (journal quilt size) every month based on elements of design and color. It helped me tremendously. I've used Setacolor transparent paints to prepare fabric and have used Derwent Inktense pencils to add permanent color to designs, but I've only scratched the surface. I tried a "silk screening" technique using organza and a Pellon iron-on vinyl. I recently purchased a gel pad for monoprinting, Magic Stamp moldable foam for stamping, ExtraOrganza inkjet printer sheets, Transfer Artist Paper, and Mistyfuse (sheer fusible). I haven't used them yet. There are so many techniques out there that look interesting.