View Single Post
Old 04-08-2012, 03:41 AM
teacherbailey

I have the same problem.....and really enjoyed reading all of your posts. I, too, am a topmaker. I've known for years that I am much more of a PROCESS person than a PRODUCT person; that is, I love the process of finding the right pattern, often tweaking it in some way, finding the right fabrics, cutting and sewing and watching the top come together. Then my brain is "done" and ready to move on to another project. Another problem is that I can't/won't put quilts on my bed because of 100 doggie toenails (that's 5 dogs!) who love to play and sleep on my bed; so I use comforters instead of quilts; learned that one the hard way!!!!! I just finished a small project as a gift for a coworker.... my trick for binding and finishing when I HAVE to is to self-bind. You cut the backing 2" larger on each side than the top, fold the edge under an inch (giving you a double layer of fabric on the edge) and turn it to cover the raw edge. Pin, then one quick trip around the top with your sewing machine and you are DONE! Fast, and if anybody asks why I do it that way, I don't have to admit that "real" binding baffles and frustrates me; I just say "That's the way my grandmother did it" and that handles that!!!!!