Old 04-20-2012, 05:43 PM
meanmom

I too have osteoarthritis mostly in my right knee. I also have a torn meniscus. I have a wonderful doctor who actually isn't a surgeon. He is willing to try all kinds of things short of surgery. He works with several excellent surgeons. I had a cortisome shot that worked for a little while. I had a series of Synovist (not sure of spelling) shots in December that have worked very well. He also recommended trying Glucosomine. Not sure if the glucosomine is working. The shots have been great so far. I do 30 to 40 minutes on an elliptical 5 times a week. I also have walked several 5K since my diagnosis. I was doing and exercise class too but that ended. He said one of the most important things to do is to move it or lose it. Try to keep it moving. I know when I skip exercise and get lazy it gets stiffer. He also told my to watch high impact things. He said running wasn't the best idea but if I really wanted to maybe I could work up to it.(don't really want to) I go back in May for a checkup. So far it seems to be going pretty good. THe torn meniscus bothers me from time to time but otherwise it is doing pretty well. I walked a 5K last weekend and it was a little stiff afterwards but not bad. Good luck finding what works for you.