Old 09-10-2009, 07:39 AM
bearisgray
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lisanne
I'm another one who doesn't by buy fabric line. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever seen fabrics in the same line displayed together.

I absolutely do not care if it's the latest thing or not. Quilts aren't like clothes. It's not like you'll stop using the quilt the way you'd stop wearing an outfit that's not this year's style. In fact, when I started quilting a few months ago, I was quite dismayed to find that my favorite tiny flower prints (the ones that have been in fabric shops for decades, since I was born!) and larger tapestry look florals are no longer available. it's all about batiks now, I was told. Well, I love the batiks, but I want my classic florals, too. If I ever find a place that still carries them...

Sure, the remainders have been picked over, but you as a shop owner can pick over what's left. It's a great idea to carry them, but choose ones you think people would like.

Fine that you're asking us, but tastes and shopping preferences differ in different parts of the country. Why not poll your customers? Or just experiment by buying some and seeing what the response is. Maybe instead of billing them as picked-over seconds, bill them as the customers' last chance at those designs.
I like the idea of "customer's last chance" - there have been times when I didn't get enough of a certain fabric when it first came out - or I didn't like it then - or NOW it would go with something I'm doing now - I like the idea of being able to find "older" good fabric - especially if it's at a lower price than the brand new lines.