View Single Post
Old 04-30-2012, 10:51 AM
Neesie

Originally Posted by LeslieFrost View Post

The restlessness is the cue for going outside, but we're not good at picking it up yet. I think I'll keep watching the clock.
Congratulations, on your new love!

I taught my dachshund to ring a bell, when she needs to go outside. Very simple, to do. Just get either a large jingle bell or several smaller ones, and a bit of rope or old leash. Tie the bell(s) to one end and make a loop, in the other end. Hang the loop over the doorknob, with the bells at about nose-level to the dog. Whenever you go outside to take her to potty, give the rope a swing and ring the bells. After a few times, hold Maggie and help her push the rope/bells, with her nose or paw. ALWAYS do this, before taking her out to potty. Before you know it, she'll be ringing the bells, on her own. This is where the fun starts! She may be ringing them, constantly (before the novelty wears off) but try to take her out EVERY time she rings them, even if for just a minute (I would say, "Go potty" and if she didn't do anything within a few minutes, just take her back inside). If she's just been out and rings them again, take her out but keep the leash very short. That way, she'll be able to potty but not just use the opportunity to go exploring.

BTW, do NOT give a treat, when she rings the bell . . . or she'll start ringing it, just for the treat!