Old 09-11-2009, 04:07 PM
marks1009

Also -- just to cover all the options here -- make sure you PIN PIN PIN PIN PIN everywhere that the machine won't hit! You can see the edges of my block are still pinned with safety pins -- I've removed the ZILLION pins I had in the green pieces to keep all the layers together. Another quilter I know said she uses her office stapler when she can't get pins in close enough, but I'm too attached to my pretty fabrics to risk that!

There are videos on YouTube that show how to layer it all up -- but you basically stretch your backing out on the floor (or large table, if it fits), tape it down tight, smooth out the batting (some people apply the batting with spray adhesive to keep it in place), and top with the pieced top. Then PIN PIN PIN PIN PIN!!! :D

If you're sewing in straight lines, there is a special presser foot for the machine called a 'walking foot', that counteracts the action of the feed dogs on the bottom, so all the layers move together. This reduces the risk of the bottom layer going faster, and the top getting out of synch.

I'm loving the tips for joining the sashing 'back to front' as it were! May use that technique for the borders of this monster, which will be little strips of 'piano keys' ... I'm thinking I can stitch in the ditch to quilt the borders, then use the sash technique you've described to attach the borders to the main panel

Hope this helps -- you can tell I've been doing a LOT of reading on this lately! :wink: