Thread: Art Quilters?
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2012, 05:25 AM
suziehammond

Default Artsy Quilt definition

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
I would like to try an artsy quilt but I only do traditional quilts. When I think of artsy, I think of $$. I think you need to buy new supplies and tools. I can draw very well, but the closet I come to artsy is applique. And I don't machine or really hand quilt. But I think if I did a 16"x16" block and just used fabric and thread and buttons, I could make something. Would that be considered artsy? If I used Mistyfuse? Or would it just be applique? I could machine quilt a block that size...make it look like water or grass or something. I know there are no rules, but there needs to be something that says if it's artsy or traditional, right? I'm such a chicken that I've only used patterns except on my backings...then I get creative. I wish I were more like the rest of you.
You know I think a lot of us get detoured by this idea of 'Art' being some other more hallowed form of quilting that is almost unreachable for mortals. For me though I would bet my last 10cents every single lurker on here is already an art quilter. You experiment with size, color, texture, pattern, etc... rarely actually controlling any of those very well and THAT results in a quilt that makes people feel something. In other words 'art'.

Art is merely a manner of communicating and sometimes even the communication is unclear to the maker or the viewer. I think for me it is "ART" when I look at a quilt and feel something in my heart or even better perhaps deep in my soul a little chime responds and I want to look again. Of course that point is very different for all of us depending on who we are. So what is art to one leaves another person indifferent.

Perhaps you as the block maker want to create the feeling of the quiet movement of the grass or water. For me gentle curves sewn or appliqued in the colors you feel portray that would be my start. I'll bet your imagination will get going as you play with ideas and whatever is in your stash----go for it! I can't wait to see what happens here.

It is perfectly OK to use a pattern you like or a part one for an 'art Q'. Your use of color, embellishment etc make it yours and hopefully it will communicate some of the ideas you have in your head.

Don't allow someone else to determine what touches your heart, create it for yourself when you can, and enjoy it when you find it in other works.

Love this thread and the way so many people are attempting to define and try this 'new' and possibly scary kind of quilting. Can't wait to see what discussions and photos of WIP get on the board.