Old 05-03-2012, 04:17 PM
Havplenty

Originally Posted by Oksewnsew View Post
Calla, the silicone is the kind you dry flowers in. Several yrs back, I was in a pincushion swap and the fillings came up, and a lady online said use the silicone...it has a little weight to it, and it keeps the pins from rust. Also, there's not the problem of anyone being allergic to it. I usually make a little bag to fit the pincushion, tie it off real good, then put the poly fill around it. The poly gives it a 'soft' feel, but yet the pins are protected from rust... I've made quite a few pincushions using this method and so far, no problems with the pins... ;o) Hope that explains it for you...
i really wonder has anyone ever had an overabundance of rusted pins and needles? i have pins and sewing needles from 20 yrs ago of sewing that have no signs of rust. the pins and needles were in a pincushion that had only polyfil in it. i imagine of someone is living in a high moisture & mold environment they may have problems with rusting pins. i also wonder if these additives that are being suggested as fillers are overall safe. i know i get stuck with my pins or needles in the course of using them or sometimes hold them between my teeth and that whatever the pins are in may eventually find its way into my body in some form.

i could possibly be the only one who gets stuck with my pins or thinks about these things but i use only polyfil and white rice or peas for weight. since living with severe allergies, it causes me to view things from a whole different prospective.

Last edited by Havplenty; 05-03-2012 at 04:20 PM.