Old 05-09-2012, 10:31 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Robinlee View Post
Ok quilty friends...........I am an Experienced quilter, but for the 2nd night of trying to complete my blocks for this swap, I am beginning to wonder. I chose the "Balkan Puzzle" as my block from Quilterscache.com, It specifically says that it is a 12" block finished. Well after my second one, I have a 12 1/4 unifinished block. And before we go over the whole 1/4" scant stuff, type of thread/needle, no need to rehash that.........As I said earlier, I am "experienced", so I know what to check fore. My wonder is how many others have used the quilterscache.com blocks and actually have them come out the way they should...either 6" or 12" finished blocks etc... The block is otherwise very pretty, just not the right size to pass the 12 1/2" test (unfinished). Help me here please.
Hi RobinLee,

I am not participating in this batik block swap but did in the last one and also used a pattern out of quilters cache. Marcia's designs/patterns are somewhat known for being just a tad small so you really have to use a less than a scant 1/4" seam. I just went and looked at this pattern and all her cutting directions are accurate for a 12 1/2 block so you shouldn't be coming out a full 1/4 short using a scant 1/4". However, much of her peicing on this block are quick peicing techniques where you stitch across the diagonal of a square to get your FG unit. I recommend checking your seam allowances with a good old fasioned seam guage to ensure you are correct on your seam allowance when you do have normal seam allowances and also measuring each unit to ensure you are ending up with a 3 1/2" x 6 1/2" FG unit before joining units. The uber scant 1/4" SA will be more important when joining each of your units if you are continually coming up a full 1/4 short on your blocks.

When I made her PP pattern Geese all Around for the last batik block swap. Every one came up about 1/8" shy. I ended up having to block every single block, to ensure I had a full 12 1/2" unfinished block. I know you said you are experienced but here is how I do it. I have a cork bulletin board. I took my 12 1/2" square ruler and traced all around it with a sharpee directly on the cork board. I then stretched and pinned each block to the board matching all edges of the block to the drawn line. I used as many pins as needed to stretch the block taut and to the full 12 1/2". This usually involves about 8 pins on each side. Pin opposing corners first then fill in on each side. Take a spray mister bottle and spray the block until it is good and wet. Leave the block to dry overnight. Once unpinned you will have a true, square 12 1/2" block that behaves itself quite nicely. Blocking is a great tool to have in your arsenal for 1/8" or less. trying to squeak out a full 1/4" may be pushing it but between really pushing the envelope on your scant 1/4" and blocking you should be fine.

Edited to add your blocks are beautiful!

Last edited by feline fanatic; 05-09-2012 at 10:39 AM.