Thread: Ticks
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2012, 03:52 PM
Sewze

Originally Posted by MimiBug123 View Post
No problem with ticks, but we have 4 dogs and they have major flea problems. I use Frontline on them, but last month tried Comfortis capsules. That didn't work very well, either. I am now bathing them about every 3 days in flea shampoo. It's gonna be a long summer!
MimiBug123: We have a farm with many many ticks and fleas from all the wild animals. Two years ago my dogs were on Frontline Plus and were loaded with fleas. I had friends that had the same problem. I remembered that when we moved here 24 yrs. ago we had our dogs on an oral pill called "Program" and none of our dogs (5) had any fleas nor did any of our barn cats or house cats (and they weren't on anything). Program is a product that won't kill the flea that gets on the animal, but, will sterilize it so that in a very short time all the animals on the property will not have fleas. However, the only thing is that you have to watch them for ticks because it doesn't do anything for them. When the Boston Terriers were on the Frontiline Plus and still got the fleas my female Boston got flea allergy dermatitis and we had a heck of a time getting the rid of the fleas on the dogs, the cats, and the house. We have fish aquariums so bombing the house was out of the question. I nearly went crazy with the bathing, flea combing the dogs everytime they went out and oh my, the vacuuming of 3 floors everyday until we got it under control. If you are interested in getting the Program Pills, you can get them online at EBay or at Jeffers Pet Supply.com. Jeffers also has an oral product called "Capstar" that kills the fleas almost immediately. You can also get the Capstar from most vets. Good luck, I know what a pain you are going through. Jinnie