View Single Post
Old 05-28-2012, 06:59 AM
Knitnoid

I haven't seen this one mentioned, but I'm not sure it's even made anymore. 10 years ago I bought Husqvarna Quilt Designer to replace my Kenmore. At the time, I was doing heirloom sewing and the Kenmore wasn't up to the task. Kind of wish I had the Kenmore back. But anyway, QD is wonderful, but heavy. I piece and utility quilt on it (my free motion stinks - probably because I don't practice) My second machine is a Singer Genie 354. Bought it at a garage sale for $10 and then put another $100 into cleaning and repairing it. It's heavy, but yet portable. The only issue I have with it is the foot pedal gets hot and a new pedal won't fit into the case.

I'm looking for second machine now for basic piecing. I love what I saw with the Janome 3160 QDC. If I were buying a new primary machine, this is one I would really consider. But at $800 it's way more than I want to spend on a second machine primarily used for retreats and classes. So, I'm seriously looking at the Janome Magnolia 7330. It's still a bit heavy, but it's more compact than my QD. It seems to be solid machine. It only has 30 stitches, but let's face it, as Quilters do we really need more than a few? I've narrowed down to this machine after going to all the local dealers and telling them what I was looking for. Then I sat down and sewed on the machines - well, except for the Berninas. They are priced way out of my league.

I briefly considered looking for a featherweight. I don't see many in classes. The one class I did there were two of them -- and they ladies couldn't sew the class project! We needed a zigzag for the project. I didn't even think about it when we put together the class information.

Oh -- as for the actually quilting, if I can't do it with a walking foot on my QD, I rent time on a long arm.