Old 06-13-2012, 09:15 PM
Rose_P

FB doesn't turn me on, but I had to sign up because that's where the kids share their pictures.

I, too, love the GPS. One time I got into a big traffic jam in downtown Houston. I took the first exit I came to, knowing that the freeway I needed was going to be elevated for some time in that area and that I would normally have no way of knowing where the next entrance ramp might be. My "rude" friend recalculated and took me right to it, no sweat. Without it I would not have dared leave the familiar route, and it might have cost me as much as an hour or two of creeping in traffic. On a trip farther from home it found a route in East Texas that looked on the map like a 2-lane road of unknown condition, but I thought "what the heck" and tried it. It turned out to be in great shape with little traffic and a passing lane every few miles. It saved considerable distance and time over my usual route. Now I can't remember where it was, and it's driving me nuts. I would never have bothered to get myself a GPS, but the kids passed theirs on to me when they bought a car with it built in. It's especially great for telling us where the nearest gas station, restaurant, museum, etc. is located and exactly how far away in distance and minutes.

My digital oven, on the other hand, thinks it's smarter than I am, and maybe it is. If you put anything in the broiler that smokes, such as bacon wrapped anything, it sounds an alarm and turns itself off. If we want to broil almost anything you could name, it's just better to use the outdoor grill instead.