View Single Post
Old 06-26-2012, 10:24 AM
Gerbie

Originally Posted by Challys View Post
I just received three hand pieced quilt tops made by my grandma--another family member is moving and ran across them. Thought you might enjoy them even thought they aren't done yet
[ATTACH=CONFIG]344437[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]344438[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]344439[/ATTACH]

Oh! what beautiful tops those are and what a wonderful gift you have just received. Please finish these three quilts. You and your family will treasure these forever.

I found about ten or so quilt tops and several block sets that needed to be put together that were in my grandmother's things when my mother passed away in 1990. Mother had all of my grandmothers things in a seperate stash. My mother did not quilt, but my grandmother and great gm both did. I really don't know which were done by either, but I salvaged them all. I needed batting and backing for them, and added this, gave one to my DH for Christmas that next year, he loved it. I gave one to our daughter and one to our son. DD just gave me her to repair some of the stitching has come loose and she doesn't want it to all come apart. I have two that I still need batting and backings on, but they are still sitting in their box. My brother wanted some, so I gave 3 to him for his wife to finish- she said she would, but they got a divorce a couple of years later, and we have been unable to find these 3 tops. They meant nothing to the wife, she didn't know my grandmothers, I guess just pure meaness that she did something with them.

All of these quilts from the past are a family if not a national treasure. I wouldn't part with mine.Probably should give my brother one of these I have left, but not sure if I am going to be that generous yet.