View Single Post
Old 06-28-2012, 05:36 AM
natalieg

I researched it quite a bit through the internet and locally. What I have found is that a majority of them take the stitch count and round it to the next highest 1000 (4839=5000, 7265=8000) and then charge $1/1000 stitches. For me, I ran across a great deal with Joanns (relocating and having a close-out sale) and purchased all of their stabilizer on a bolt for cheap. There was a site somewhere that said with 1000M thread it supplies 200,000 stitches. Of course you are going to have thread waste for threading and for the extra inch or so at the beginning of each thread.

My first order was for 4 tshirts, one with a large design and one with 21 names and a small design (the other 2 were simple). I charged $74 (that included some discounts) and my expense was $2 using those figures. I had the people purchase their own shirts-this way there was no "it's not quite the color I was looking for" or "well normally I wear a large in another brand". They can get the quality they want, I just reminded them that thin and really cheap would not produce good results. Everyone was thrilled and I now will be doing the shirts for that retail business. I did offer a discount because of the fact that they are all good friends there and I have been bartering with quilting/purse/diaper bag making there for years.

Originally Posted by sylviak View Post
I've got a quick question: A friend wants me to do a Sunbonnet Sue quilt for one of her granddaughters. How do you charge for your embroidery? I'll have to buy the design pack (one or more) to embroidery them. I hate to charge her for the whole pack(s), because I will probably use them again. I also will need to do some kind of thread charge? Since she will be paying me for making and quilting the quilt as well, I need to have some idea what to charge for the actual embroidery.