View Single Post
Old 07-21-2012, 09:01 AM
Sierra

Default How do you store your fabric stash?

There is a new thread about the size of foam board to use for your fabric stash. Probably because all of us have our own style of brain we have many different approaches to this.

I have a large cupboard 4'x 8' x 20" deep, with 6 shelves. I put my folded fabric in sections according to the dominate color (all blues and blue-ish togeather, etc.), with the exception of a "kiddie print" stack. Smaller than a fat quarter goes into plastic drawer, also by color. Tiny squares (left over from 1" and 2" projects) have their own plastic case.

When I am looking for a color for a quilt I tend to "reorganize" a stack as I plow through it. I might take out several pieces and put them down on the table and move them around until the "right" mix surfaces and then restack the ones I won't use. I tend to "need" to feel the fabrics as I make decisions. But I'm seeing more and more that people are using "boards" on which to wrap their fabrics. This takes time, as does my putting things back where they beong. Is it a time saver? Does it work for you? I'm thinking that if EVERYONE says yes, maybe I'll do it. But, if there are some of you for whom this does not -- did not work -- I'd like to hear from you also.

Last edited by Sierra; 07-21-2012 at 09:04 AM.