Old 07-29-2012, 10:47 AM
tate_elliott

Originally Posted by Dianna77984 View Post
Save money and just tape a regular thumb tack, point up, 1/2 distance from needle will make a circle twice that size and you can use any decorative stitch you want to. Use several strips f tape to prevent the tack from slipping. Play with it, you will be a mazed what all you can do.
When I bought my Rocketeer, the first quilt I made was a mock cathedral quilt. The instructions said to cut my fabric into circles and sew them together. I thought, "To heck with trying to sew perfectly around circles! I'll sew them into circles first, then cut them." So I measured out onto my cabinet, put a sticker to mark the spot, and used masking tape to hold a thumb tack point-upward. I put squares on the tack, spun them to be sure all I had the fabric centered well, and hit the pedal. I just watched the stitches go in a perfect circle - over and over and over.

I notice that, so far, no one has said, "Gee that thumb tack idea sounds good." So I guess nobody wants to try the homemade solution.

Oh, and I stuck a rubber eraser over the tack to keep the fabric in place while sewing.

Tate

[ATTACH=CONFIG]352207[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails mockcathwinquilt.jpg  

Last edited by tate_elliott; 07-29-2012 at 10:50 AM.