Old 08-01-2012, 01:38 PM
ArchaicArcane

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
There are a lot of places that sell reproduction slide and needle plates. They look pretty good with one exception. Their plating, although good doesn't match the originals. So you can tell at a glance they are repops.
I have one on my Singer 66- .... oh I forget which one, and my Sewmore 404.
If you don't care about the difference in plating appearance, then it's no problem.

Joe
Are you referring to the flat sort of aluminum ones, or are there some shiny "chromed" ones out there?

I've been told (OSMG) that the main reason that the chromed ones don't look right is that Singer didn't use chrome, they used nickel, but I haven't seen any shiny repros yet, only the dull that look,... wrong.

The DH looked up the process of Nickelplating, when we found our model 27 face plate suddenly needing to be done, and said it wouldn't be too hard to do. It was basically polish, plate, polish again. The process he found didn't use electricity either (which did make me a little skeptical)

I'd love to see a shiny repro... it might be good enough to sell a machine as whole if it's meant to be used, instead of "Here's your machine but you need to go find a slide plate"