Old 08-05-2012, 03:28 PM
Ellen 1

I do not like to "practice" on my quilts. Charity quillts are a great "practice piece" and then you can quit your own quilt after you feel comfortable with your practices. By working on the charity quilts, you are learning to control the machine and you are helping a worthwhile charity by finishing the quilting process. A lot of ladies like to piece the top, but don't like to do the acutal quilting. If you do not already belong to a guild, consider joining or at least volunteering to quilt for them. You'll find it is a lot of fun and you get a lot of satisfation out of knowing you have helped finish quilts for their charity(s). One other thing I do for one of my "good" quilts is to practice on a piece of muslin. I quilt it like I want to quilt the "real" quilt. I get the "practice quilt" and the "real quilt" in the end. The practice quilt also makes a great dog bed.

Ellen

Originally Posted by tezell0801 View Post
The family celebrated my birthday tonight. My youngest daughter gave me a gift certificate for long arm quilt lessons at the Sew and Vac store near me!!!!I am thrilled. She knows I am so interested in this, at least trying it to see if it is for me or not. I can not believe she thought of this and did this for me. I have the best daughters ever! now I have to get busy and make a couple for small quilts really soon so that I can have something to practice on once lessons are over if I like it.