View Single Post
Old 08-08-2012, 02:06 PM
Celestin18

Default Issues with first quilt

I've sewn for a few years and have always wanted to try quilting. A few weeks ago, I started and have loved it. My first quilt is turning out... alright. But I've learned a lot along the way and continue to learn. I have a few issues that I need help with, that I've been unable to find an answer to. So, I tore four blocks worth of fabric with my seam ripped while sewing and resewing seams to make them line up. So I have a nice big 32x8 space in my quilt. I don't want to re-order the same fabric I quilted with and would like to find a way to fill up the space. I thought of putting in a panel to fill the space, but am afraid that will look weird. I'm using the Good Fortune fabric by Moda, so I thought of using an oriental one. Many are beautiful, but made of silk, which I know frays like no one's business. I also sort of fell in love with some vintage kimono silk that I sort of want to use as a backing, but is it fussy? Should I just stick with cotton? Any help/advice or ideas would be appreciated.