View Single Post
Old 08-11-2012, 06:17 AM
quiltmom04

I like GOOD illustrations. That means color and computer rendered, not something hand drawn. Have actual pictures of the finished quilt, not just the computer rendering. Make sure your cutting directions are CLEAR. If you can have a cutting sequence, I like that, too. Ive seen patterns that I like that will tell you what to cut and then subcut to make the most of the fabric , rather than just list how many pieces of a certain size you will need. If you include templates, make sure they are actual size, even if they have to be folded, rather than make the customer increase the size themselves. Separate out the "basics"- like directions on how to use a rotary cutter or how cut and sew binding, so those who know how to do those things don't have to wade through them just to get the specific quilt instructions. And it will help the beginners because all the instructions that apply to any quilt will be grouped together . And put everything in an actual zip lock bag, not one that was fused together so it never recloses, or a flimsy paper envelope. Good luck on your endeavor! I saw someone else mentioned this, but have all levels of quilters test the pattern for accuracy and ease of use.