View Single Post
Old 08-23-2012, 11:39 AM
MattieMae

I’ll add my electrical fire experience. It was a leaf blower. After blowing leaves for 30 minutes, I had to drop it because it got super hot, started smoking, ready to go up in flames. There was no debris or clogged material in the blower. I had checked to make sure I had the correct guage extension cord, but forgot that joining multiple 100’ cords would cause a power drop which resulted in overheating. Electricity is funny.

I’m not saying that the timer the OP used with her iron contributed to the fire. I’m sure it didn’t since the travel iron doesn’t pull that much juice. I’m just reminding people who use timers, extension cords, or surge protectors to check the electrical ratings on them and be sure the combination of iron, sewing machine, television, lights, whatever is plugged in, doesn’t exceed its capacity rating.

I’m lucky, I can plug my iron directly into the wall outlet. The cord on my iron is 7’ long (actually about 88”) and has a swivel on it which I assume is to prevent wire breakage from winding up the cord around the iron. I never wind the cord, I just puddle it around the base when not in use, unplugged. Not preaching, just saying.