View Single Post
Old 08-30-2012, 04:07 AM
Edie

I have done a lot of reading on it - the Datura - and I am not one for pulling out a flower if it is still blooming, but as soon as the last one has bloomed, out they all go. Never again. I have come to the conclusion that they scare me. The seeds are hallucinogenic by ingesting them. There are people in this world that get high on these seeds. I don't want any part of it. Mine are by the alley and anyone walking down the alley can pick them, dry the seeds and have themselves a "Datura party." Have you ever noticed that a plant or whatever you have just learned about and are so pleased with, you find other people have them too and then the kick goes out of it. Now I am wondering "Why do these people have so many Daturas in their yard?" And unfortunately, the joy of the plant is gone. I am scared of it. I don't want anyone picking the seeds and have a "Moonflower party" on the seeds that were in our yard. So, for what it is worth, no more Datura/Moonflower/Jimson Weed/Gypsum Weed/Angel Trumpet for me!!!!!!!!!!!! Edie

PS - for what it is worth, every flower that has bloomed for its short time, I cut it off right at the stem - I don't want the seeds for sowing or for hallucinations.