View Single Post
Old 09-12-2012, 12:49 PM
DaylilyDawn

Originally Posted by Cindy60545
I've lived in FL over 25 years, then married my DH & moved to TX, but still worked in FL til March of this year. (I drove an 18 wheeler, & So Florida was my regular route.) My favorite part is south central Florida. I really like the Winterhaven, Lake Wales, Lakeland area. You're close to everything. You're an hour away from either coast, good quilt shops, lots of shopping, but small town attitude. Rents are pretty decent, last I heard. Since I've retired, I miss some of the restaurants, my LQS & some of my quilting buddies! Thank goodness for the telephone & internet! I still get to communicate with them!
I live in Lakeland, FL and grew up in Bartow which is about 15 minutes south of Lakeland on US highway 98 Bartow is a small town and has lot of history . But as far as quilt stores and other crafts, nothing. Lakeland has JoAnns, Hancocks Fabrics, Micheals and Hobby Lobby.
But Cindy, Winter Haven is meant to be two words, not one. Winter Haven is not to far from Lakeland either.
But you do have to realize that FL is real vulnerable to Hurricanes. Lakeland was hit by 3 hurricanes in 2004, Charley, Francis, and Jeanne. We lost a 3 trunked 30 ft red cedar tree to one of the Hurricanes. We really miss it. It blocked the afternoon sun from heating up the front of the house, our bedroom is up front., I had a chance to move somewhere else when we got married and I came home to Polk County . Fl is my home and I will not live any where else. I spent time in Pensacola, and I have spent time in California which I actually couldn't wait to leave.